February 10, 2010

Katie in Pictures

Katie's birthday always reminds me of those first few days and weeks of her life. They were certainly eventful! I had planned on an unmedicated birth and it's a good thing I did because there was no time for anything. We got to the hospital at 4:15 and she was born at 4:32. Blake said it was pretty fun watching all the doctors and nurses scramble. I didn't really pay attention to that.  She was in NICU and had a blood transfusion and stayed in the hospital for 6 days. Michael wasn't able to see her because he was too little - they wouldn't let him in the NICU. It was a nightmare having a baby in NICU and a 1 year old and barely 3 year old at home needing their mommy. But we survived. We didn't know before she was born that she had DS. And even after she was born no one was certain. They suspected she did but couldn't be sure until the blood test came back 3 weeks later. But by then she was our little Katie and we loved her for who she was/is and didn't care much what the test said. She had already won our hearts - right from the very start.  I'll NEVER forget when I held her for the first time and our eyes met for the first time. I thought to myself, "they look different to me".  I didn't know she had DS then. But it wasn't so much the physical appearance of her eyes that made me think and made  that moment so memorable. It was because her eyes pierced my soul. It was like our hearts connected through her eyes and I truly saw heaven! It was an incredible experience! Katie has come such a long way since then. And she's taught us so much every step of the way. She constantly surprises us by doing things no one ever thought she'd be able to do.  I can't imagine life without Katie and I'm so grateful she's part of our family!

Here are some pics of our sweet Katie Bear:

3 months old:
 
 1 year:

 2 years:

 3 years:

4 years:

5 years:

6 years:

7 years:

8 years:

9 years:

10 years:

And for 11 years see the previous post since I haven't got her 11 year old pictures taken.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment